This position provides daily coaching, guidance and leadership for the employees in the Technical Services group including Process Engineers, Process Control Engineers, Information Technology and Laboratory personnel.
Technical Services Manager Duties:
- Always keeps safe work habits as the highest priority.
- Promotes ethics, integrity, professionalism, objective analyses and clear communication through personal conduct.
- Manage the efforts of the Process Control group in the areas of maintaining, developing, and troubleshooting refinery DCS, SIS and miscellaneous PLC and related I/O.
- Manage the efforts of the Process Engineering group in the application of chemical engineering principles to the areas of process optimization and troubleshooting, process design and process development to refinery specific unit operations.
- Manage the efforts of the Laboratory Supervisor in maintaining, modifying and improving the laboratory product quality.
- Manage the efforts of the Information Technology group in managing company technology resources and system applications.
- Monitor, identify gaps, and initiate process operations improvements based on metrics on process safety, environmental impact, product quality, and production targets to ensure facility performance is in alignment with refinery goals as defined by the facility manager and corporate initiatives
- Interface with corporate segments as needed to support corporate initiatives and programs, including, Sales & Operations Planning, Raw Material Qualification, Process and Product Technical Development, Product Quality Reviews, and Budget development.
- Ensures refinery is operated in a safe, environmentally responsible, efficient, cost-effective, reliable, and sustainable manner.
- Provide extensive support to the Operations group to assure quality objectives are met through monitoring unit performance parameters, reviewing raw material, intermediate and product quality data and assisting with problem identification, troubleshooting and resolution.
- Contribute to development, review and approval of specifications for raw materials, manufacturing targets and finished products.
- Responsible for the MOC (Management of Change) process.
- Sponsors, supports and contributes to the generation of ideas, studies, projects and other key initiatives to maintain or improve equipment and processes. Serves a key role in developing, reviewing and approving project/work scopes, economic impact, planning, logistics, process design and control, detailed engineering, safety and environmental compliance impacts.
- Develops and monitors key performance indicators (KPI’s).
- Identifies problems and defines solutions as part of the Corrective Action Program.
- Provides on-call support.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with all co-workers, customers, and associates.
Technical Services Manager Qualifications:
- B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering with five years refinery experience preferred OR a B.S. degree in another engineering or technical discipline with a minimum of five years in refining environment in plant technical support role servicing operations, laboratory, and engineering disciplines.
- Minimum of one year in a supervisory role is preferred.
- Knowledge of OSHA PSM Standard and EPA’s RMP standard’s technical application to the refining industry is preferred.
- General knowledge of ISO 9001’s technical application to refining is preferred
- General knowledge of plant engineering is preferred, including process engineering, process controls, project engineering, operations troubleshooting and technical support.
- General knowledge of laboratory activities in refining is preferred.
- Knowledge of control of quality markers specific to production of lubricants preferred, including viscosity, solvency, volatility, cleanliness and appearance.
- Technically sound using MS Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Comfortable utilizing cloud-based software applications.
- Self-motivated with excellent leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Experience planning and coordinating activities for shutdowns, daily maintenance tasks and projects.
- Some travel required