— BS Engineering, Metallurgy, or Welding Degree with 3+ years experience in laser welding – metalworking industry preferred. Tier 1 Automotive supplier.
— Experience with robotic welding required
— Demonstrate technical understanding of programming automated systems.
— Weld Safety Certification preferred
— Able to work in the USA without sponsorship, now or in the future.
- Responsible for designs and specifications of welding fixtures.
Develop laser welding techniques and procedures used in production
- Provide technical guidance and expertise on welding related issues.
- Research, develop and test new welding methods, processes and procedures.
- Resolve production issues related to laser welding processes.
- Select and document appropriate laser welding equipment and settings.
- Work with manufacturing team to create process control documentation for each welding operation.
- Implementation of ultrasonic testing for weld porosity, cracks and off-position welds.
- Work with quality team to create and coordinate testing activities and reporting requirements.
- Test and evaluate new materials and weld joints.
- Works with Manufacturing and Engineering to determine potential applications for laser welding for future technology savings to meet customer requirements i.e. decrease weight, improved mpg.
- Ensures that laser welding cells are utilized safely and to improve productivity and quality of parts.
- Analyze, develop and achieve precision weld requirements for parts pertaining to dimensions and tolerances of finished work-piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
- Develop, teach and maintain weld monitoring system.
- Programs, tools and operates robot during initial production to verify accuracy of machine settings and programmed data.
- Verifies conformance of finished work-piece to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Troubleshoots programming, fixtures and production related issues as necessary by operating and/or observing equipment to detect malfunctions or non-conforming conditions and adjusts machine controls as required.
- Benchmarks and monitors daily production processes on laser welding cells.
- Develops procedures and work instructions related to the laser welding process across multiple part numbers/ programs.