The Utilities Engineer position provides day to day leadership and support for the site’s Utilities department. The utilities systems include electrical power, steam, compressed air, chilled water, nitrogen and Therminol vaporization. The Utilities engineer will serve as subject matter expert and supervisor for the Utilities team. This position has direct report responsibilities for thirteen (13) team members in a 24/7 operation consisting of 11 Operators, 1 E/I Technician and 1 Mechanical Technician. The Utilities Engineering position is responsible for budgetary responsibility as well as performance to the annual operating plan. KPI metrics will be a key focus and measure of reliability, cost, efficiency and productivity.
- Responsible for Team compliance with all Corporate safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Deliver and maintain superior safety and environmental performance through engaged team members with high compliance to KPI’s. Key indicators are Hazard Recognition/Elimination, active engagement in 5S/Housekeeping progress, Leadership audits, Permit Compliance, Near Misses, First Aids, and Recordable injuries.
- Coordinate the day to day operations of the Utilities power generation area, providing leadership and direction in the day to day decision making of the group.
- Ensure that all employees understand and follow standard operating procedures, plant operation and equipment; enforce all plant rules and regulations.
- Direct the operation of power generation systems to maximize reliability and productivity while providing operational and technical support.
- Develop team members by teaching, coaching and mentoring.
- Manage Utilities cost on a month-to-month basis to insure compliance to annual operating plan commitments.
- Actively participate on the Corporate Energy Excellence team.
- Development and execution of strategic and capital planning to maintain capacity, improve efficiency and improve productivity.
- Implement and direct improvement projects to enhance Utilities reliability, maintainability, profitability and safe operations.
- Monitor established performance indicators, including variance reports, production reports, quality reports, injury reports, equipment utilization reports and overtime performance.
- Lead investigations using DMAIC principles and techniques to drive to root cause.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- BS Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical engineering.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a manufacturing environment managing and supporting Utilities operations.
- Three (3) years’ supervisor experience leading and coaching direct reports preferred.
- Experience and working knowledge of electrical distribution systems, steam generation, compressed air systems and chillers.
- Ability to perform engineering calculations to assist in troubleshooting, capacity analysis and equipment specifications.
- Project management.
- Annual operating plan development and management to cost commitments.
- Strategic capital planning.
- Understanding of the maintenance work process.
- Knowledge and experience with preventive and predictive maintenance.
- Strong command of written and verbal communications.
- Leadership, organizational, time management and facilitation skills
Key Success Factors:
- Demonstrate knowledge of safe work practices to include Safety policies and procedures, OSHA and environmental requirements.
- Assume leadership role for Utilities and understand skills and abilities of direct reports.
- Solid fundamental understanding of Utilities systems and operating procedures.
- Demonstrate technical knowledge and ability coaching and teaching direct reports.
- Demonstrate leadership skills and success leading teams.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Windows software (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.).
- Ability to work with others in a teamwork environment.
- Demonstrate communication skills to teach and mentor others on proper workflow procedures.
- Ability to manage time and stay organized.
- Identify opportunities and develop a plan for improvement.
Salary: $90,000.00 – $120,000.00Apply / Submit Resume